Small Claims Resources And Further Information
For Further Questions Or Legal Assistance
Legal advice is available through the Self-Help Legal Aid at (209) 754-1443. The small claims advisor for Calaveras County provides information and counseling to litigants and potential litigants concerning all aspects of the small claims court process, including case preparation, collection, venue, appeals and more. Court Clerks are not allowed to answer legal questions. All correspondence to the small claims court must contain the case number and show that a copy was sent to all parties in the case or it will be returned.
Helpful Websites And Information
- To properly name a business defendant, you may want to go to the Calaveras County Clerk's office to check fictitious business name (FBN) filings and search for other recorded documents.
- Confirm corporate / limited liability company / limited partnership name and the name & address of the agent for service of process at the California Secretary of State database www.sos.ca.gov
- Check the local municipality city hall for business license information to determine the owner of the business.
- Check to see if the other party owns real estate or check to see who owns a particular parcel of real estate, contact the Calaveras County Assessor's Office at 209-754-6356.
- Small Claims forms and forms for collection: Judicial Council Forms website
- Research California statutes: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/
- Research California case law: www.lexisnexis.com/clients/CACourts/?
- Find consumer information and the ability to file administrative complaints for many licensed professions at the California Dept. of Consumer Affairs: www.dca.ca.gov/ or 800-952-5210
- Research contractor license bond information (license status check) at the Contractor State License Board www.cslb.ca.gov/consumers
- Research information about a home inspector at the Structural Pest Control Board: www.pestboard.ca.gov/
- Research information about a real estate licensee at the Department of Real Estate: www.dre.ca.gov
- Collect your judgment: California Courts Self-Help Center, Collect your money