- Online Services Traffic Payments, Jury...
- Forms & Filing Forms, Fee Schedule...
- Self-Help Self-Rep, Info, FAQs...
- Divisions Civil, Criminal, Traffic...
- General Info Contact Us, Locations...
Name Change Information
Packets are available for at the Superior Court Clerk's civil window.
You may also obtain forms at www.courts.ca.gov/forms.htm.
Forms may be used to change one's own name and, under certain circumstances, the names of others (e.g. children under 18 years of age).
The documents must be filed in the Superior Court of the county where the person whose name is to be changed presently lives.
Hearings are scheduled six (6) to seven (7) weeks from the date of filing. Theses matters are heard on Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m. in Dept. 1.
Information Required on Form
- Drivers License number,
- Social Security number, and
- any AKA names you have used (this applies to adults only), as a background check will be conducted by the courts.
- the newspaper you are going to publish in.
- Name Changes must be published for 4 consecutive weeks.
- In Calaveras County you may publish in the Calaveras Enterprise or The Valley Springs News.
See the Civil fee schedule
Name Change After Divorce
- are changing your name after a divorce and
- were divorced in the State of California, and
- did not request your name restored on your judgment,
then you may be able to file an Ex Parte Application for Restoration of Former Name after Entry of Judgment and Order
(FL-395). You will need to file it into your divorce case. There is no filing fee; however, certified copies are $25.